Let’s not kid ourselves, we have a very tall order in Corvalis. In fact, it would be a tall order even if we had all the bullets in our gun, which we don’t. Oregon St. fans are rocking and rolling because they’re 5-0 for the first time since 1929 or something. Potato Salad Stadium is a tough place to play when OSU is even anything close to good.
Here are some game thoughts.
1. We need to not, like our friends down south, make Cody Vaz the Pac-12 offensive player of the week. Oregon St. is an interesting team is that they’ll attack you downfield, but you give them a lead and they’ll grind you to death.
2. Their defense doesn’t explode on you, but they just keep fighting and never quit. Against Arizona, the Wildcat offense was doing things almost at will for much of the game. But that OSU defense never quit and in the end did just enough.
3. If you take those first two points, we simply cannot fall behind by any serious margin. BJ, Wilson and the offense have to build on the end of last weeks game. Sustained drives. I thought the penalties were better last week and we have to build on that as well. We’re going to have to have some points.
4. Utah need turnovers, be it from defense or special teams. We have to get OSU unbalanced.
5. I don’t know if there is hope for this but we need a pass rush. Somehow, Star is drawing double and triple teams we can’t get to the passer.
6. We need a big play early to shut that crowd up.
I don’t have a ton of hope for this one. If the Utes can do some group of these things, I might be sayin’ there’s a chance.