Yes that time has come, that we are forced to talk about basketball. And now that Utah’s seven game exhibition season is done, we can look forward to them playing one of the two real opponents they’ll face before heading into the Pac-12.
And their only road game to boot.
So what do you want to know about the Boise St. Bronco basketball team. Well I’m going to tell you.
1. Their coach is Leon Rice, a former Gonzaga assistant.
2. They are keyed by two guards Anthony Drmic and Derrick Marks. They are averaging 21.5 and 18.8 PPG respective. The Broncos do have five players averaging in double figures. They shoot the ball extremely well and like to push.
3. Boise doesn’t have a lot of size
4. Last year they came into Utah playing their 3rd game in seven days on the night we honored the late Rick Majerus. Utah shot 80% in the first half, 70% for the game and Boise was never in it.
5. Interesting side note to the story, Larry K campaigned hard for the Boise job but Boise never really gave him a look.
6. This game is the 3rd or 4th game in a four game series we created with Boise St. in order to buy out the Boise game when we joined the Pac-12.
So what is going to happen tonight. Well that is anyone’s guess. Neither team has played anyone of note, so there are no real comparisons to make. Boise returned everyone from last years team that made the NCAA tournament so we know they are pretty good. Utah is something better than what they were last season. What that is right now remains very much in question. So tune in tonight on the CBS Sports Network so everyone can get their first real idea of what this Utah Basketball team is.